Skip to main content

life's like a box of chocolates

I didn't know what I was going to get today. I got another normal day! Wahoo sounds like fun right. I had quiz in my bio class, lunch at subway with my husband, and a 'class' where we watched a movie about gay men adopting children. Tonight proves more interesting as Matthew and I enjoy each others company sitting on the coach cuddled under a cozy blanket.

Now there is something that I would like to share my insight on with you all. Recently I have been learning about different theologists of the early 16th to the 17th century. One of these theologists is Martin Luther. Martin Luther believed that salvation was only reached though faith in God alone and not through works on Earth. He said that everything is dependent on God and nothing can happen without it being in His will. One quote that resonated with me most was:

“A Christian is a perfectly free lord, subject to none. A Christian is a perfectly dutiful servant of all, subject to all.”

Now this quote is very powerful and should be thoughtfully dissected. A Christian is a perfectly free lord. This tells me that if you are a Christian, that is if you have accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior, then you are free to do what ever you want. Of course, the controversy with that is that if you truly are a Christian then you will do what Christ would do and would not be destructive with your freedom. The next part of that sentence says that as a free lord we are "subject to none." As Christians we do not have to answer to anyone, right? Well almost, we do not have to answer to anyone here on Earth. However, when the time comes that we have to answer to the Lord our God we will definitely want to have a good record. "A Christian is a perfectly dutiful servant of all" is a quote that most Christians in today's society would readily accept. We seem to be more focused on the fact that we are servants in this world and we are to work toward enhancing the Kingdom of God. The part that says, "subject to all" is the part that may not be as easily accepted. Are we really subjects to everyone that we know and could possibly meet in this world? While we don't like to think about it in this way, we are called to make ourselves available to anyone and everyone if it is for the good to the Kingdom. We should never leave anyone behind because it is too uncomfortable, scary or inconvenient to help them.

This one quote sparks a lot of questions and insight in my mind. Martin Luther was a influential theologists in his time and his theories continue to shape the way that we view Christianity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...