Skip to main content

The Beast Run

Every year Naval Base Guam host a 60 mile relay race in order to help raise funds for the Navy Ball.  This year Matthew, some of the guys that work in his kennel, and some other guys in the MA division (Master at Arms or 'the police') signed up as a team.  The teams can be as little as 2 and as many as 10 people and there are coed teams, all male teams, and all female teams.  There are even a few that run the race completely by themselves!  All 60 miles!  Those people start at a different time than the teams but run the same route.

The route went all around the Naval Base and the central/southern part of the island.  It is split into 20 different legs where the legs could be 2 miles or 5 miles, uphill, downhill, through the woods or on the road.  It is all over the place!  Matthew had legs 10 and 20.  The middle of the race and the last leg in the race.

This was good for me that Matthew had the middle leg first because the whole race got started at 3:30 in the morning!  I was not getting up that early!  But Matthew did to cheer his team on and he had a great time.  I went out around 7:30 to the location where Matthew would be finishing up his leg of the race.  I was able to get some pictures at that location, although they are not very good because of the crowd.  There was a local flea market going on at the same time.


This is right after he finished his leg of the race.


After he finished this leg it was time to wait for his team mates to complete their own legs.  We made a little pit stop at the top of Nimitz Hill to over look the downtown city of Tumon.  Here are a few pictures of that view.


That is the Naval Hospital.

The building that is closes to the bottom of the picture is the high school, Guam High School.

This is Tumon Bay where all the tourist spots are and the high dollar hotels.

After our little stop to admire the view, Matthew went with his team to cheer them on the rest of the race.  I went back to the house to get breakfast and let Pluto out.  I was only able to hang out at the house for about 40 minutes before I had to head down to the finish line at the Inarajan Pools which are about 30 minutes away from the house.  

I got to the finish line and there was one individual runner finishing the race!  He was beat!  I sat out with the volunteers for a while and watched the road.  Saw the first place team runners come in before the bottom dropped out of the sky and it was pouring raining.  I took cover in the car.  About 30 minutes later Matthew came running in soaking wet!  This was not the ordinary rain for 5 minutes and its over, this rain kept on coming and was flooding out the roads.  They couldn't even cook the end-of-the-race meal because the rain was so heavy.  So they had to give out the medals and shirts and then basically tell the teams to have safe travels getting back to the base in the mess.  

\\
This is Matthew and his team.  They came in Third Place!!

The drive home was not a fun one.  We had to drive around and though many large puddles in the middle of the road while it was still raining.  But, we did finally make it home safe and sound without killing our car! :)

Needless to say the rest of our Sunday was pretty much a relax day after all of that activity!  Matthew had a great time with his team running the race and he said that he wants to do it again next year.  Needless to say, I will not be joining him on a team as far as the running goes but I will always be there to cheer him on!!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...