Skip to main content

Naval Ball 2013

Last night Matthew and  I went to our first Navy Ball.  We got to get all dressed up and looking sharp to head out for a fun night at a fancy hotel.  Special shout out to my girl Jackie P. for helping me with my hair, she made it look great! :)  Matthew was looking great in his dress whites with all his metals and ribbons!  We took some pictures but I just realized looking back through my pictures that we didn't get any full body shots.  Oh well, maybe one will turn up, hopefully.  So here are the pics from the night:


There were about 40 tables set up in the ball room at the Hyatt hotel.


We watched some videos that highlighted some of the past events that the Navy has done on Guam.


We gave toasts for just about every higher up you could think of!






There was lots of good food.  It was served buffet style and you could only go up once so we filled our plates with a little bit of everything.


They had a couple souvenirs on the table.  One was this coin, it will be Matthew's third coin to add to his collection. 


They also had commemorative glasses at the table but we decided not to take ours because we knew we would never use them and they would just sit in our cabinets gathering dust.


There is this tradition at every ball that the oldest and youngest sailors cut the cake.  It was pretty funny trying to find the youngest and oldest service members in the room.




We had a little show (which we could hear but not really see) where the guy in the front left was spinning a bayonet around.  




After all the ceremony stuff was done there was a DJ that played some pretty good music and a lot of people got up and danced.


This is the cake that they had made for the ceremony.


Overall Matthew and I had a great time.  We ate some good food, had some good conversation with friends and danced into the evening.  I ended up wearing flats so my feet would not hurt!  Made for a great night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...