Skip to main content

New Church and Snorkel Adventures

This past weekend Matthew and I finally got up the nerve to venture out into the island and search out a new church.  The church on base is a nice church but not a good fit for us.  When we went to the base church we saw mostly single moms with children and older couples.  We decided that we needed to search out another church to better fit our needs and lifestyle.

While driving around the island we spotted a church named Marianas Christian Fellowship.  This was the first church that we have seen on island that is not Catholic, Baptist or Protestant in denomination.  Thus, we figured we might as well check it out.  This is a big step outside of our comfort zones but we got up enough courage and went through with it.  And God is good!  (All the time!)  He showed us a great small church that is very much like the type of church that we would attend at home.  And there are all different types of people that attend this church.  There were other Navy people, Army people, Air force, Wives, children and even some locals!  We are going to stick with this church for a while and try to plant our roots and make some good Christian friends.  We have been missing our Sunday fill and the community that surrounds a local church.  Hopefully this will be the one for us while we are on the island.

I also wanted to tell you all about the awesome snorkeling that we did yesterday!  It was amazing!  We went to a new beach that I had never been to before.  Matthew had been there so he knew what the expect as far as the ocean floor went.  So what I didn't know what going to happen, and what I had never experienced before, was the ocean floor completely dropping off from about 4-6 feet deep to about 50-75 feet deep.  At first I was scared!  I am afraid of heights and have come to the conclusion that if you are afraid of heights then you will probably be afraid of depths!  It freaked me out at first but it was a really cool sight to see.

We saw some new creatures in those depths and I did my first shallow dive out there!  Matthew dove down and got a pretty sweet looking shell from the coral.  We couldn't keep it though because there was some creature living in it.  After about 45 minutes out in the water it started to rain so we started our way back to shore.  When we got up close to the rocks by the shore and it was only about a foot deep we saw two baby reef sharks!  Yep, that's right we saw two sharks!  One was about a foot and a half long and the other was about two feet long.  It happened so fast that if they had wanted to claim their territory then we wouldn't have been able to get away but luckily they were more scared of us and swam away pretty quickly.

So fun stuff happening on Guam.  Another post is soon to come about our first official hike that we went on today.  It will even include a video that we took!!  So look forward to that one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...