Skip to main content

Marriage Retreat Weekend

This weekend Matthew and I had the privilege to attend a Marriage Retreat sponsored by the military and an organization called CREDO.  We weren't really sure what to expect from the weekend because all that we were told was where to meet and at what time. 

We got to the hotel (The Westin Resort Guam) at 4pm and  they gave us our room keys and told us to meet back at the conference room at 6pm for dinner.  So far so good!  We were pretty excited to be able to utilize the resort over the course of the weekend.

Our room was awesome!  Sorry no pictures of that because we kinda ruined it as soon as we got there cause we like to unpack and everything.  So basically I didn't want everyone seeing what a mess we made the room! lol.  The bathroom had a double headed stand up shower and a large jacuzzi style tub.  I definitely used that over the weekend!  :)
Here is the view from our 15th floor balcony.  They had a large freshwater pool and a smaller waterfall pool with a hot tub.  And some more pictures from the balcony follow:



Dinner was pretty great too!  They provided food for the whole weekend and it was all buffet style!  Needless to say we ate a little too much this weekend.  There is something about having so much good food sitting in front of you and the option to go back for more whenever you want.

There was a lot of talking that we had to listen to during this event too. Most of it was some really great stuff about how to better communicate and relate to your spouse.  We came out of it with some good techniques and strategies.  Saturday morning we had bfast then had more talks, lunch and more talks then a break from about 3:30 until dinner at 6pm.  Dinner that night was actually on the beach!!  It was awesome because we got to watch the sunset as we ate our dinner and talked with the other couples that were there.  Here are some pictures of the beautiful sunset!





This was the buffet style dinner spread!

Saturday night was 'date night' where we were supposed to go out with our spouse and have a good time.  Matthew and I decided to go down to the beach bar that was just a 15 minute walk down the road.  We had a couple drinks and sat out on the beach on these nice round, 2 person seats on the beach.  We watched the ocean and the stars while we listened to the beach music playing in the bar and sipped on tropical drinks!  

Sunday was another early start to the day at 8am and we watched a pretty neat movie called "Tuesdays with Mortie."  After the movie we introduced ourselves (none of the couples had told their rate and rank the whole weekend) and did a satisfaction survey and were free to go.

Matthew and I went down the beach after we were released and we went snorkeling!  It was a pretty shallow area but there were still a good amount of reefs around and therefore some good looking ocean life.  I actually saw a large saltwater snake when I was swimming.  Needless to say I swam away from that think pretty quickly even though it was not going to harm me.  Matthew saw some really great fish too!  We had a good time out in the water for about an hour.

Afterward we drove up the Anderson Air Force Base since we were pretty close to it anyway.  Their Exchange seems to have a lot more home goods stuff than ours does and more options for other items.  We like to go up there to shop around when we are close.  

Sunday night we went out to dinner for a colleague of Matthew's that has worked as a Kennel Support because he is going to San Antonio to go the the K9 Handler School there.  It was a farewell and good luck kind of dinner.  And it was right back near the hotel that we had just left! lol.  But it was fun and we were ready to call it a night after all of that!

Now it is Monday and Matthew has off for Labor Day.  This is great because we needed a day to just relax after a crazy, fun weekend.  Overall we were very happy with the retreat and we are happy to be back home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...