Skip to main content

China Trip: Terracotta Warriors

By this time in our tip we are about 4 days in and have about 8 days left.  We arrived in Xian and got settled into our hotel rooms before we took a public bus out to the Terracotta Warriors Museum.  It was another tourist packed sight but still totally worth the trip!  

A little bit about the history of the Terracotta Army: (from Wikapedia cause they explain it better than I can)
The Terracotta Army or the "Terracotta Warriors and Horses" is a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China. It is a form of funerary art buried with the emperor in 210–209 BC and whose purpose was to protect the emperor in his afterlife.  The figures, dating from approximately the late third century BC, were discovered in 1974 by local farmers in Lintong District, Xi'an, Shaanxi province. The figures vary in height according to their roles, with the tallest being the generals. The figures include warriors,chariots and horses. Current (2007) estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terracotta Army there were more than 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses, and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits nearby Qin Shi Huang's mausoleum.
So basically the first emperor of china thought that if he had a army of sculptured men guarding his tomb when he died that he would have their protection in the afterlife.  
Here are some of the pictures that we got while we were there.  These things are so OLD that it is magnificent to see the process of putting them back together and having all the pieces in place.

The pits are still being excavated and the people that are putting the pieces back together go into work at night when the museum is not open to the public.  




Here you can see the statues labeled with numbers and being put together piece by piece.




These pits were dug in so that the statues stand in their battle formation.




Each statue is different.  From the hair to the facial features to the body type, no one statue is exactly the same as the other.


Here are some of the horses that have been discovered and rebuilt.


As you can see some of the pieces are still missing, maybe still in the dirt or grind into dust.  It was funny to walk around and notice that one was missing a finger or a hand or even a whole head!



See that second one from the bottom in the pic above?  It was completely different from any other statue.  He had a long, lanky body and no armor.  Wonder what/who he was supposed to represent.



They would put sierran wrap around the parts that they had glued together to help hold it in place.



The baby bump at the Terracotta Warriors Museum! I am about 27 weeks here!


NO HEADS!


This is what the sites look like before all the pieces are excavated, cleaned and tagged.  They are still working on many more sights that have more soldiers in them.  


This is spot where some tomb robbers came and stole some of the goods without realizing exactly what they had found.



They also had some pieces on display because they were the only parts that were still completely in tack when they were dug up.  The horse and soldier above as well as the ninja looking guy below were all in one piece.  


We didn't spend nearly as much time at this museum as we would have liked because there were just so many things to look at but we did see a lot of really neat history.  This was definitely a highlight of the trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...