Skip to main content

China Trip: The Temple of Heaven

After our time spent visiting the different sections of the Great Wall we went back to Beijing for an afternoon to pick up our big luggage from the hotel and start the next leg of our journey.  Since we had an afternoon to explore, Matthew and I decided to join a small part of our tour group that were going to the Temple of Heaven.  This is another historical site in Beijing that was used by many previous emperors and important people during the dynasty days for religious ceremonies and prayer for a good year.  It isn't used anymore though, its now a tourist trap!

But we did see some pretty cool stuff when we went inside the first set of walls.  You had to pay to get into each of the different sections that are housed within the walls.  We stayed on the outside and explored the park area just because we could see the majority of the buildings from there and we didn't feel like paying to see more of the same stuff.  Maybe that was a mistake but ultimately, we don't feel sorry for missing the insides of the temple all things considered!  :)

We did see this pretty cool calligraphy artist 'painting' Chinese symbols (which we couldn't read) with water onto the walkway.  For all we know he could have been write random phrases that mean nothing at all but considering it was a religious place I would like to assume he was writing encouraging words.


The gardens were pretty awesome.  It was like a maze of paths that were broken up by these beautiful trees that grew at just the right height for hanging coats or using as a stretching bar for the many exercising people.  Every few yards (or meters, for their metric system) there would be an opening in the trees where people were participating in many favorite Chinese pastimes.  


This guy and about 3 buddies of his were flying their very intricate kites high in the sky.  This particular kite got caught at the top of that tree that is in between them in the picture and we watched as he steadily extended a pole all the way to the top of the tree and neatly hooked it and brought it down without any damage.  It was a pretty cool sight to witness.


We also saw many people working out by running the perimeter or doing ti chi.  Much to Matthew's excitement we even saw one guy doing some pretty cool martial arts kungfu! There were also people playing with these stringed toys that looked sort of like a disconnected yoyo.  I don't really know what they are called but they have two handles and a disk that rolls along the string from the two handles.  They can fling the disk thing up and catch it all while it keeps spinning.  If anyone knows what these things are call please let me know!  They were pretty cool to see though.


This is one of the buildings inside the Temple of Heaven.


And here is pretty much what the majority of the site looked like.  A lot of tourist walking along a long walkway to get to the next building that they had to pay to get into.  


 Here are some dancers that we saw just outside the tree line area.  There were many groups of dancers that had their own music and style of dancing for a workout but this was one of the biggest groups that we saw.  One strange thing that we noticed about all the people that we saw working out was that they were all wearing normal clothing.  No one was wearing what we were consider workout clothes: old, dingy or even just sweat wicking clothing.  It's like they just decided to join in on the dance party in their everyday clothing.


Even though we didn't go inside, we were still able to admire the beautiful architecture.  Beijing definitely has a lot of historic architecture that is cherished by the Chinese culture.

After we spent a few hours in the Temple of Heaven it was time to head back to our hotel to get ready to grab our next overnight train to Xian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...