Skip to main content

China Trip: The Great Wall

This post will most definitely be my favorite just because this part of the trip was the favorite part for both Matthew and I.  After meeting with our tour group and having a traditional Chinese dinner family style we set off the next day for the Great Wall.  We took a bullet train north to a lesser known portion (to the tourist crowd anyway) of the wall.  This first half that we went to was in what our tourist guide, Micheal, called a small town in China.  He also said that this small town had a population of about 6 million!  Yeah if that is a small town in China I don't want to live there! :)  

We took a bus from the train station to our hotel where we unpacked and got settled in.  Soon we were off to the Great Wall!  This section was practically empty of any tourist groups besides our own!  It was a blessing to be able to take our time walking up to the wall because it took me quite a while to get to the top. 


There were stairs after stairs and I am pretty sure I took at least 20 breaks on the way to the top.  Thank heavens for my wonderful husband pushing me and encouraging me on the whole way. 

Taking one of many breaks.


The stairs just kept on going and they ranged from being short steps to really long, tortuous on the calves steps.

But there were some pretty sights to see on the way up, even with the layer of smog and slow moving rain storm.



Getting really close to the top!

Finally we made it!  I felt like Rocky when I finally breached that summit!   And we were rewarded with some pretty awesome views of the mountains, valleys and small farms at the bottom of the wall's boarders.




We were able to stop at about 4 of the outposts along the way and climb up to the top.  These post were where the solders would sleep when they weren't standing guard or walking along their section of the wall.


Absolutely breath-taking



We spent about 2 hours total climbing up and walking along the wall before we started to head back down.  It was a lot easier and faster walking down to the valley at the bottom of the wall than it was walking up.


This is Micheal, our local tour guide.  He was pretty awesome and always smiling and willing to help.






Our group walking along the narrow walkway on the top of the Great Wall!



The bump on the wall!  One day I will be able to tell our baby girl that she was on the Great Wall of China when she was still safe inside me! :)

And here is our group (minus 2 people who couldn't attend the wall climb).  These are the people that Matthew and I became friends with over the course of our trip to China.  There are people here from the UK, Australia and New Zealand.  We were the only Americans on the trip.

After this section of the wall we went back to our hotel and were able to relax a little before another group meal for dinner.  We ate another traditional Chinese meal for both dinner that night and breakfast at the hotel the next morning.  We took a tour of a small village inside the great wall and saw how a lot of people in China's small towns live.  

The next day we went to a more touristy part of the Great Wall.  We were all less than impressed after the experience that we had the previous day.  The renovated section of the Great Wall that we went to was the part that extends out into the ocean.  It looked like any other modern style brick/stone structure that you could fine in many other parts of the world.  But here it is:


This is another section that they built as a temple off the side of the wall.


The look of the wall as it extends into the ocean.

Sharing a kiss at the end of the Great Wall behind a sign that we have no idea what it says! :)







There was a percussion band playing on the wall so we got a little show out of it.


They also had a maze mad out of the same stone for all the tourist that wanted to try it.













And that was the end of our tour of the Great wall.  We walked a lot those couple of days but that was just the start of our tour and the beginning of our walking adventures.  

Next up will be some pictures of the small village that we toured and then our trip to Xian to see the Terracotta Warriors.

Thanks for reading!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...