Skip to main content

Christmas and New Years in Guam

I know it has been a long time since I last posted anything on here.  There has been a lot going on, and not going on here in Guam.  Honestly, I have just been lazy for a few weeks with blog posts.  But I am trying to get myself back into the groove now.

So Christmas in Guam was unlike any other Christmas I have ever experienced in my life.  While I am used to light displays, yards covered in plastic and inflatable ornaments, and cold weather, we didn't get much of that here.  There were only a couple houses that actually put out Christmas decorations and the temperature here was the same as always, a steady mid-to-upper 80 degrees during the day.  Needless to say it was a little difficult getting into the Christmas spirit.  But Christmas did come and go like it always does!

This year Matthew and I decided to take it easy on gift giving because we are planning a trip to China in the new year.  We got ourselves one big gift (a Keurig machine) and then a few smaller gifts for each other.  I got Matthew a new machete and he got me some new sunglasses.  We also sent out a good amount of money to the Philippines for relief after the super typhoon.  That was our gift money that we would have spent on family so we sent the donation under our families names.

Christmas Eve we were invited over to a friend's house for a dinner.  That was a fun time to spend with others and not be alone.  Plus the food was great.  They had all the traditional foods like a turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing and of course desserts.  We ate and played Apples to Apples after dinner.

Christmas Day was a relaxed day for Matthew and I.  It is tradition for us to stay in our pj's all day and watch Christmas movies and open presents.  That is exactly what we did and it was great!  We watched a lot of movies, played our recently addictive game of scrabble and drank hot cocoa from our new Keurig machine.

The day after Christmas here was actually Christmas day back home so we got to call and Skype with most of our family and wish them a Merry Christmas on their Christmas day.  It was great to be able to talk to everyone even though we couldn't be together physically this Christmas.  Hopefully next Christmas we will be able to come home for a while.

Since Christmas and New Year's fall in the middle of the week this year Matthew has had a strange work schedule.  He has been working on Monday and Friday for the past two weeks and has the rest of the week off.  It has been awesome because we have been able to spend a lot of time together on he time off.  I am so happy that he is part of the K9 unit because otherwise he would be working a lot more with any other rate.  I lucked out there! :)

So today is New Years Day and last night we went out to our church to ring in the new year with our church family.  We got there around 10pm, after I took a nap!  We watched a Christian comedian on the big screen and played some more scrabble.  We prayed in the New Year together and then we were able to walk right out the back door of the church and onto the beach to watch the fireworks shows.  There were 3 different fireworks shows going on in Tumon that we were able to see very well from the beach.  It was pretty awesome to be able to watch so many fireworks shows at once!  After that we were all pretty tired and it was time to head home and go to bed.  Funny thing though, when we got to the main gate at the base they were doing mandatory sobriety checks on everyone entering the base!  Crazy!  But a good idea.  That was the first time I have seen a sobriety test done where you blow into a tube.  Matthew had to do it though cause he was the one that was driving.  Needless to say we got away cleared, we weren't drinking! :)

So that is about it for now.  We are going to go out today up to a restaurant on base around 2pm so that we can try and watch the ball drop in NYC at 3pm our time!

Thanks for reading and I will try to keep more posts coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Months...Really?

As the title suggest, I am entering into month 5 of the pregnancy.  However, I neither feel nor look like I am that far along at all.  I have gained a little bit more energy even though I still like a nap in the afternoons when I can get one.  I also haven't been having any weird pregnancy cravings like what you hear most women have.  I guess ice cream could count as a craving even though it's not really all that crazy for a pregnant woman to want ice cream.  The crazy thing I guess for me would be that I never really ate ice cream that much before I was pregnant and now I want it at least once a week. No weird dreams either; I'd be lucky if I remembered any dreams anyway.  I hardly ever remember my dreams unless they are really horrible nightmares and thank goodness I am not having any of those. We got some new furniture for the nursery today off of a Guam garage sale website.  We got a real nice dresser/changing table combo that I am pretty excited about.  That makes

37+ Week Update

So I know it has been a while since my last post.  I figured it was about time for me do another update blog on the pregnancy.  It will be pretty short cause there is not much new to report. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks last week to get  an update on how Isabella is progressing and what position she was in after a few weeks without knowing.  If you have been keeping up with me on facebook then you know how that turned out!  We didn't get any news from the ultrasound other than the fact that Isabella was still sitting comfortably in her breech position. The following Monday we had an appointment with my OB to get the rest of the information that we were wanting to hear.  She told us that Isabella was growing appropriately and was looking healthy!  So good news is awesome to hear!  Of course she then proceeded with the news that we already heard, Isabella is still breech.  We reviewed our options for turning and delivery and decided to try a procedure called an external cephal

Isabella is 1 Month Old!

So as promised in my last post:  I have some exciting news!  But you must read on and get some baby goodness first! Today is 9/11/14 in Guam and while for some this day is still a tragic memory of the lives lost just a few years ago, today it is a celebratory day for the Ohrvalls because we are proud to have a (no longer newborn) 1 month old in our household!  We are totally smitten with this little one and love her to death even when she wakes us 3-4 times a night and drains us of any real sound sleeping.  But we will forgive her of that and hold it over her head when she is a teenager  (Just kidding...kinda!) Isabella has reached a few milestones already in her short time with us.  Here are some of the things she is doing now: Holding her head up for short amounts of time while having tummy time or being supported as she sits up Following Mommy and Daddy's voices/faces by turning her head towards us Sufficiently putting her hands in her mouth and suckling her fingers Sl