Skip to main content

First Thanksgiving in Guam

I know it has been a while since I posted but there are good reasons for that!  I finally got jobs!  Yes, I said jobs as in plural.  I am now tutoring 2 students and substitute teaching at Guam High School.  So since it has been so long since I last posted anything I need to go back and tell you all what Matthew and I did for Thanksgiving.

We knew that we were not going to be going home this year so we decided to find something to do so that we weren't sitting around missing family.  We decided upon volunteering at the USO to help others during their time away from family.  Nothing makes you feel better than helping someone else when they are in the same basic situation that they are.  At first we were supposed to man the drink station but then there was much more need in the back preparing the food.  We shuffled back there and Matthew got to work carving Hams and I was in charge of distributing and covering the trays that held the carved turkey and ham.  It was crazy back there!   There were about 12 people carving turkeys and ham and it smelt so good!


That is Matthew back in the blue.  They were carving in the boxes that the meat came in then putting it in serving trays.  It was a lot of fun working in the back and seeing what all goes on behind the scenes.  The guys and families that we were serving started coming in around the time that we got everything organized and taken care of.  We stayed most of the morning and got the benefit of getting free reigns on the food before anyone else.  Working in the back, food prep section has its perks!  







We had a really good time helping out at the USO.  We also had plans to go to our church for a Thanksgiving meal with them.  We went there around 1:30 and spent a couple hours fellow shipping with our church family.  By then we were so stuffed and ready for that classic Thanksgiving afternoon nap that we had to head home before we passed out in the church!  Not 10 minutes after we got home were we both laying in bed half asleep!  We took nice long naps together and then relaxed the rest of our Thanksgiving away.  The only negative thing that I have to say about our Thanksgiving was that we did not get any leftovers!  


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...