Skip to main content

The Color Run

This morning Matthew and I woke up at an abnormally early hour for a Saturday morning.  Bright and early (or not so bright) at 4:00 am.  We had signed up to participate in a Color Run 5k here on Guam.  It was the first on that they were having here and the proceeds benefited the Guam Cancer Society.  But the main reason that I wanted to do it was because I had heard so many good stories about color runs back home being a lot of fun and I wanted to try it out.  So when I heard that they were having a color run on Guam I told Matthew that we were going to do it and I had about 3 weeks to try and get myself in some sort of running shape.

If any of you know me, I like to work out and I feel like I am fit person BUT... I absolutely despise running!  I like to get my cardio in other ways such as the elliptical, cycling, rowing and even swimming.   I played softball most of my life and even then I would hate the laps around the field but would be fine with the sprints around the bases.  Short sprints are more what I called 'running'.  So when Matthew heard that I wanted to do a 5k he was pretty excited for me.  I ran almost everyday when we went to the gym but I was still having a hard time being able to run a consistent mile.  (I know sad right!)  But anyway I had to get over my insecurities about running and just do it this morning.

Matthew will probably tell you that I drove him crazy with all my stop and go but we ran it together and we finished together.  My official time was 42:22, better than the last 5k I ran in VA Beach where I didn't even try! :)  I can't say right now whether I will be keeping up my running regimen or not because I still do not like doing it.

This color run was not exactly what I expected because there was only one color of powder being thrown at you and that was red.  They were only throwing the color at the start/finish line and at the turn around point.  I wonder if that is the way other color runs are in the states?  But regardless it was fun and we got messy along with the other over 2000 people that turned out for the race!  Yepp, over 2000 people!  It was a sea of white shirts as far as you could see on the road and finishing covered in red powder.  Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure!

The Before Picture:



The Sea of White T-Shirts:  If you can tell it just goes on and on for the entire length of the race!



And a couple of after shots:  Looking back we should have gotten some shots of our backs too because we were both covered pretty good on our backs!  :)



Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think one of my 2014 goals should be a color run...but I hate running!

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...