Skip to main content

Onward Beach Resort Waterpark

This past Saturday Matthew and I were invited to the Onward Beach Resort Waterpark for the Volunteer Appreciation Day with the USO.  We have been getting more involved with the USO and volunteering our time there.  It has been a lot of fun so far.  At first we didn't think that we would be able to go to the Appreciation day because we had only volunteered once before that.  But when we were personally called and invited to go to a waterpark for a day, then we had to accept.

When you think of a waterpark in the US what do you think about?  Big slides, awesome rides, a wave pool?  Yeah well there were a few of all of those things at this waterpark.  Take a look at the comparison maps that I have for you.  The first one is of Water Country USA, the second Guam's Waterpark.





Guam's waterpark had exactly 4 slides, 2 with tubes and 2 without tubes, one crazy drop ride on a tube, a wave pool and a lazy river plus a couple smaller pools for the kids and a Jacuzzi pool.  We were able to ride every slide and the one ride twice and go around the lazy river a couple times as well as eat lunch and sit through a presentation of gifts/raffle in the 4 hours that we were there.  Don't get me wrong there are a lot of things that are better than a huge waterpark like Water Country USA.  For instance, there were NO RULES!  (And even if there were, no one was there to enforce them.)  So on these rides we saw kids that were at the top of the slide with the rafts running and jumping head first one right after the other.  Dangerous but still they were having fun and no one got seriously hurt as far as we could tell.  The slides without the tubes did have a guy telling you when you were clear to go and the drop ride did have someone to hold your raft and push you off.  But the lines were practically non-existent; I think the longest we had to wait in line for a ride was about 5 minutes at the drop and that is only because it had just opened back up after lunch time.  

We had a fun time at the waterpark and we got a free lunch out of it as well as a prize from the raffle drawing!  Yep, after lunch they gave out gifts for people that held a certain amount of hours volunteering at the USO and then they drew tickets for a raffle that they were giving out tickets for during lunch.  Matthew's ticket won us a new set of kitchen knives!  (What's weird is we had to carry that around the waterpark with us until we left.  We kept it hidden under a towel most of the time because we didn't think the park would allow a huge set of knives to be inside their waterpark.  Apparently we were wrong because one of the USO guys actually asked why we were hiding our new knives as we were leaving!)  "OOG" is one of the phrases that was thrown out a lot during that day.  It means "Only On Guam."  Some of the things we noticed:
  1. Only On Guam would you go to a hotel to get to the only waterpark on the island.
  2. OOG would they allow molding, crusting slides to continue to be used at a water park. 
  3. OOG could you carry around about 20 knives in a tourist attraction and not be thrown out.
  4. OOG could you got to a waterpark at the end of November.
We took some video of a couple of the rides that we went on for you to see for yourself.

This one is one of the tube slides.


This one is closed side without tubes.


And this one was the one that dropped really far and looks like a half-pike.  By far the scariest and most fun.


And here are some pictures that we took while we were there:




This was the raffle/gift table where we wont our new knife set.


Thanks for reading!  :)



Comments

Anonymous said…
There is a much larger water park on Guam called Tarza. Although it is not nearly as big as Water Country, it has tons more rides including a FlowRider, a Master Blaster, and the Black Hole. They have been opened since 1997.....too bad you missed out

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...