Skip to main content

Chamorro Villiage

Hello All!  I know it has been a while since I have posted anything that is going on around here.  That would be because ... dun dun dun ... there isn't much new going on! :)  This can be a good thing and a bad thing but right now we try to look on the bright side right!?  Well I have gotten word that all of my subbing packet materials have been received and that I should be getting some calls about subbing at the high school soon.  We will see how that goes seeing as it took them two months just to get all my paperwork in.  But other than that it has been pretty much the same here for the day to day business.

This past Wednesday Matthew and I took a little adventure out to the Chamorro Village.  We have driven by the Chamorro Village many times because it is right off the main highway and you have to pass it to get to most of the shops and such that are on the island.  We have even been to the park that is behind the village but we had never actually been in the village until Wednesday.  We had heard that the village is open all the time but that the time to go is on Wednesday nights because they have many local vendors and performers that go out there on Wednesday nights.

So first off let me tell you what exactly the Chamorro Village is.  Basically it is a small area of about 1/2 a mile long that is packed with small houses that resemble the house of the ancient Chamorro culture.  Within these houses there are different shops and restaurants that are owned by the Chamorro people and that sell local products.  Most of the shops that are in the village sell tourist items such as the "I love Guam" t-shirts.  There are a few shops that sell some pretty neat things that you could only find on an island such as huge conch shells.    The village in itself was originally the farmer's market of the island where the local fishermen and farmers would come to sell their goods.  However, over time it has become more and more of a tourist attraction showing off some of the island culture but mostly selling food and high priced souvenirs.

Matthew and I decided that there were going to be many points during our time here on Guam where we were going to have to act like tourist to be able to see some of the sights.  Wednesday night at the Chamorro Village was actually one of those nights.  Walking around the village you could tell that the majority of the people there where tourist (because the majority of the tourist are of Asian decent).


There were some places such as in the picture above where there were mostly Chamorros.  This open air auditorium had a live band and the people inside were dancing to the music.  This particular picture was taken when the electric slide was being performed.  The next few pictures show how most of the village looked.  Small isles between shops that were packed with people who didn't care if they got in your way or cut you off.  Someone needs to teach these Japanese some touring etiquette.  
 




There was also a small stage where some local girls were performing 'ancient dances' for the crowd.  We stopped and watched them for a while and it was quite entertaining.





We went mostly for the food and to see the place so we got some pretty good eating done.  The Chamorro know how to BBQ their meat really well.  Their BBQ is really good and we got sticks of it for $1 a stick.  The stick that I am holding in this picture is actually a local dessert.  It is a banana wrapped in this crunchy fried dough almost like a fried banana rolled in honey.  It was pretty good.  They also had a lot of slushy and smoothie vendors.




Overall, the outing was a good one and we saw some pretty neat stuff.  The BBQ was good and and we will remember the time that we spent that.  However, I don't think that we will, like many locals, go to the village every Wednesday evening.  Now we can mark that off of the list of touristy adventures that Matthew and I will be doing while we are here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...