Skip to main content

Keep Talking about Her

It has been quite here again.  I promise there is a logical reason for that! With Matthew away on deployment the kids and I took an extended vacation down to NC for the holidays.  We were there for Thanksgiving, Christmas, the New Year and for Conner's birthday.  Of course we were looking forward to seeing all the family and letting the kids get to know everyone better.  One thing that I did not anticipate happening while we were there was all the very natural and frequent mention of my mother.

You see my mom passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly 3 years ago.  With us being a military family, we aren't around our extended family very often.  My extended family are the people that knew my mother the best.  They hold her in their hearts daily as do I, but it is a little different in NC.  Different because they live in the same area that she lived and a lot of their surroundings can remind them of her.

While I was in NC there were so many places, occurrences, people and conversations that reminded me of my mother.  In IL I don't get many reminders of her.  In NC, I saw her in my Nina's (her mother's) house, I saw her in photos in many of my relative's houses, I saw her sitting in her favorite spot on the couch, in the bathroom straightening her hair, all over.  These places brought back her memory so clearly for me.  I remembered her while I drove from house to house, place to place and I thought of how we would eat here or meet there, about how she would bank there or grocery shop here.  She was everywhere and no where at the same time.

What's more, the people talked about her.  My mom was brought up in casual conversation regularly. From the,  "Oh, I remember when your mother" to the "Isabella/Conner is just like your mother" and even "Your mother used to...".  So many memories, so bitter sweet.  Each time her name was brought up was both painful and freeing.  It was refreshing to openly talk about her life and impact but it was also difficult to think that she isn't here to experience so many more milestones.  A lot of times people feel scared or feel it's inappropriate to bring up a loved one that has passed for fear of making others sad or bringing up old wounds.  I say, "Keep talking about her!"  The more I heard about my mother the more I could recall her personality, her liveliness, her stubbornness (She definitely passed that one on to me).  They brought her back to life for me, if only for a moment.  I could remember her as she was when she was on earth and not jump to the scary circumstances of her death.

Sure it is painful to think about someone that is not with you anymore.  But I realized in NC that it is important to bring up the good memories, the positive stories so that you can hold on to those and remember them fondly.  It really is healing and though my mother has been gone over 3 years, I am still healing and will always miss her.  Now that we are back in IL, I am going to try and purposefully remember my mother and share those memories with her grandchildren.

Life is about the acquisition of memories because in the end that is all that we will have left.


Comments

Unknown said…
I so pleased to hear that you are open to hear about your Mother. This means you on
Your way. To a happier life.

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...