Skip to main content

First Trimester Woes

Now that I can safely say that I am over the common first trimester symptoms I can look back with a smile on my face.  I did experience a lot of the common symptoms but for the most part I was lucky with the symptoms that I got.
     Here is the list:

  • Nausea 
  • Indigestion
  • Heartburn
  • Constipation
  • Drowsiness 
My nausea was the worst symptom that I encountered.  I would be held up on the couch for hours unable to do anything.  Luckily, I never got to the vomiting except one time.  The one time that I actually vomited was when I was giving blood around week 5.  I was able to still eat my normal foods so I did not loose any weight like most women tend to do.  I didn't eat nearly as much as I normally did but at least I was still able to eat something.  Matthew went many nights trying to find something for dinner because I was feeling too bad to cook or even stand for the amount of time needed to be able to cook something. 

I also got lucky with the timing of my first trimester symptoms.  It fell during the Christmas time so their were about 2 weeks (which turned out to be my worst weeks) when schools where out for break and I didn't have nearly as much going on.  Tutoring took some time off too and softball only had a couple practices a week.  I was able to hang out on the couch and wallow in my blissful pregnant-ness!  

Another symptom that I was most experiencing, and am still experiencing, was the drowsiness.  I seem to be ALWAYS TIRED!  I can't seem to get over it.  Whether I am sitting on the couch or walking around the house I can get these sudden boughs of tiredness where I just have to close my eyes and relax.  I actually had to skip a softball practice due to these symptoms.  

I guess I am lucky as far as what I experienced versus what other women experience.  Those were really my most drastic of my first trimester woes.  Looking back I am thankful that the timing worked out for the best and that my symptoms were not too serious for too long.  

Now that I am slipping into the second trimester I am no longer nauseous but I am eating a whole lot more!  But, I am keeping the majority of my meals healthy and trying to limit my junk food intake.  I have also sworn off sodas for the duration of the pregnancy.  (Matthew gave up candy since I told him he had to give up something too!)  I am loving not having the nausea and being able to get back into my workout routine again.  The energy level as still not returned but at least I can manage being active for longer amounts of time than I could a few weeks ago.  

Look for our first ultra-sound blog coming soon!

Comments

Anonymous said…
So excited to see your little peanut on the ultrasound! Its so funny you write all this. Before I got pregnant I was like, WHATEVER! I'm gonna be superwoman, I'll be able to eat what I want and I won't ever be tired. Its so weird how tired you are! It doesn't even seem like you should be since you aren't really "showing" but you are, those babies just taking so much out of you!

Popular posts from this blog

5 Months...Really?

As the title suggest, I am entering into month 5 of the pregnancy.  However, I neither feel nor look like I am that far along at all.  I have gained a little bit more energy even though I still like a nap in the afternoons when I can get one.  I also haven't been having any weird pregnancy cravings like what you hear most women have.  I guess ice cream could count as a craving even though it's not really all that crazy for a pregnant woman to want ice cream.  The crazy thing I guess for me would be that I never really ate ice cream that much before I was pregnant and now I want it at least once a week. No weird dreams either; I'd be lucky if I remembered any dreams anyway.  I hardly ever remember my dreams unless they are really horrible nightmares and thank goodness I am not having any of those. We got some new furniture for the nursery today off of a Guam garage sale website.  We got a real nice dresser/changing table combo that I am pretty excited about.  That makes

37+ Week Update

So I know it has been a while since my last post.  I figured it was about time for me do another update blog on the pregnancy.  It will be pretty short cause there is not much new to report. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks last week to get  an update on how Isabella is progressing and what position she was in after a few weeks without knowing.  If you have been keeping up with me on facebook then you know how that turned out!  We didn't get any news from the ultrasound other than the fact that Isabella was still sitting comfortably in her breech position. The following Monday we had an appointment with my OB to get the rest of the information that we were wanting to hear.  She told us that Isabella was growing appropriately and was looking healthy!  So good news is awesome to hear!  Of course she then proceeded with the news that we already heard, Isabella is still breech.  We reviewed our options for turning and delivery and decided to try a procedure called an external cephal

Isabella is 1 Month Old!

So as promised in my last post:  I have some exciting news!  But you must read on and get some baby goodness first! Today is 9/11/14 in Guam and while for some this day is still a tragic memory of the lives lost just a few years ago, today it is a celebratory day for the Ohrvalls because we are proud to have a (no longer newborn) 1 month old in our household!  We are totally smitten with this little one and love her to death even when she wakes us 3-4 times a night and drains us of any real sound sleeping.  But we will forgive her of that and hold it over her head when she is a teenager  (Just kidding...kinda!) Isabella has reached a few milestones already in her short time with us.  Here are some of the things she is doing now: Holding her head up for short amounts of time while having tummy time or being supported as she sits up Following Mommy and Daddy's voices/faces by turning her head towards us Sufficiently putting her hands in her mouth and suckling her fingers Sl