Skip to main content

Finding Out and Telling the Family

For those of you just tuning in:  The Ohrvalls are PREGNANT!!  Yep, we are expecting our first child on August 1, 2014.  We waited a while to tell the world (blogging/facebook world) that we were pregnant until our first ultrasound and doctor's visit.  That visit was just this morning!  I can now officially tell you all that we are expecting a baby and as of right now everything is the way that it should be developmentally and baby and mom are both doing great!

We found out that we were pregnant like any other couple, through a home pregnancy test.  But, we were not expecting to get pregnant as fast as we did.  I had just had the birth control that I was using taken out on Halloween day and then just a few short weeks later we were discovering a pregnancy!  God is good, he times things perfectly to fit his purposes and we are praising him for this timing he has made for us.

I had quite a few symptoms that made us wonder for a little while whether I was pregnant so when we finally broke down and decided it was time to take a test we were both shocked that the symptoms I was experiencing were actually due to a pregnancy!  It was a surreal sensation to turn that test over and see two lines!  Matthew didn't even believe it at first even though the lines were clear as day in front of his eyes.

Matthew finally came around to believing that I was pregnant when we got the test done at the doctor's office and they confirmed that I was indeed pregnant.  Reality hits hard sometimes!  Like I said we were not expecting to get pregnant so fast.  The next few weeks went by as a kind of blur for me now.  I would spend most of my day (when I wasn't subbing or tutoring) laying around eating saltines and drinking lots of water.  I was not feeling myself at all!  Luckily for me the Christmas break came and that meant a good amount of time off from any work that I had to so except a couple softball practices to coach.  That was time well spent on the couch or bed dealing with the morning/all day sickness.

We decided that we wanted our immediate family to know about the pregnancy first and that we would hold off on telling most other people until our first ultrasound.  Since it was Christmas time we thought that it would be an awesome Christmas gift to share with the soon-to-be grandparents!  We scheduled times to Skype with our parents and we were able to tell Matthew's mom and family on Christmas Day as well as my dad and grandmother who were at my aunt's house for Christmas breakfast.  Unfortunately my mom did not get to find out until later.  We called my brother since he didn't get Skype.  But by the day after Christmas most everyone in out immediate family knew the big news.  Some of our extended family didn't find out until this blog!  (Sorry guys we wanted to keep it a secret just to be on the safe side.)

We actually told our family over Skype in a unique way.  You see Matthew and I have been going through a Scrabble streak where we both are kind of obsessed with the game.  So we spelled out the words "WE ARE PREGNANT" on the board and then when the family asked about the game we showed them the board.  Needless to say we had a lot of freak-outs, a little crying but mostly just happy family congratulating us.  Being so far from home it is hard not being able to hug family and share this time with them but we are hoping that through this blog you all will feel a little closer to us!  We love you guys and thank you for all your support!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...