Skip to main content

Jennifer Moves to VA Beach

On Saturday the 23rd I took the rainy three hour drive up to VA Beach to move in with one of my long time high school girlfriends, Tianna Yentzer.  It was time for the change and moving up to VA Beach was the best sort of change that I needed at this time in my life.  I will now have a roommate who is also a Navy wife and whose husband is away on deployment.  Much more in common than any person down in good ole NC where there are no Navy people within a 100 mile radius.  (That may be a little bit of an exaggeration but that is how I feel.)

So anyway, it is now Sunday and I am all moved into my new 'home' for the next few months.  Now it is time for my first test of how well I am able to organize and get situated in a new location.  I have to change banks, change addresses for mail and accounts, find a job and much more fun stuff that is involved in relocating your life.  I like to think of this as a sort of trial run for what will happen when I move to Guam with Matthew.  I will be in VA Beach for about 5-7 months depending on how things go with Matthew when he gets to Guam before me.  He will be going in May and then he will have to fill out some paperwork for me to be able to go over with him.  With that said, I am hoping that I will be able to follow him less than a month after he gets there himself.

A little about my new roommate...

Her name is Tianna, as I already mentioned.  She and I went to the same high school at which we both met our future husbands.  Tianna is married to Andrew who is also a Navy man.  They have been married since 2007 and Andrew is on his 2nd deployment.  Tianna and I came to the agreement to become roommates shortly after I decided to leave my job as a teacher.  We are both away from our significant others and tend to spend evenings feeling slightly lonely.  Although, I have to say that since I have been up here talking to Tianna she seems to be handling herself remarkably during this deployment by keeping herself busy with her photography business and having many other Navy wives to spend time with.

I believe that this move will be good for me.  I will meet other Navy wives and talk to them about things that we have in common.  That is a big jump from having no one understand what I am going through back in NC.  (Not that that is any of y'all's fault back in NC, you just don't know what it is like unless you are involved.)  I am also close to a Naval Base so I can get anything that I need to get done in order to be sent overseas with Matthew.

The job hunt...

That is a laugh right now.  I get out of the education system to try and get back in on a lesser scale in VA by becoming a substitute and/or tutor.  If there is anyone out there that knows a good way into this type of position please feel free to enlighten me.  I will start my job hunt tomorrow.  If I can find a tutor/substitute teaching position then I am going to have to try and go to the Fleet and Family Support Center to find something on base or get a waiting job.  I just know that I need to do something so that I don't end up sitting around the house all the time.

Update on Matthew...

Matthew is still in Texas, he started his 'C' School this past week.  He is beginning his training on dog handling and is very excited about learning all about the different techniques and commands that are used for dog handling.  They moved him into a hotel room on base that houses the other MWD (Military Working Dog) candidates.  That means that he now has his own room with cable TV and wireless internet.  He is able to talk on the phone and on Skype after school is let out for the day so it is a lot easier to keep communication open for now.  He enjoys his studies and keeps busy during the week.  The weekends are more of a relaxing time for him right now since he is in a new place and pretty far away from any sort of entertainment besides walking around the BX.

I know this was long, my own little book, but that is the update for now.  Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...