Skip to main content

The amazing beach trip by Matthew

This weekend, 5/14/10 through 5/17/10, was a great weekend. My wife and I went down to Myrtle Beach to visit my step dad whom I haven't seen in 9 years. He was in prison. During his sentence he committed his life to Jesus and catching up with my step dad, Ralph, and the weather was perfect. The beach was beautiful and the ocean temperature was just right. There is one story that stands out while we were on our trip. It was Saturday afternoon and we were able to go to the beach to relax and get some sun. My wife decided to stay on the sand and get a tan while reading her book, Twlight series. After a short time of sitting around I decided to go for a walk on the beach. I walked for a while, tried to catch fish, looked at dead jelly fish, and enjoyed the ocean breeze. After a while my feet started to hurt and I turned back to see my wife. While I was walking back I noticed a guy looking at me. He reached into his bag and said to me: "Hey man cover over here." I said the fist thing that popped into my head: "Naw man I'm good." Well, who would have guessed the guy just pulled out a cigarette and wanted to know if I had a lighter? I didn't have anything on me, but my swimming trunks and a God chain. Then I felt the Holy Spirit speak to me saying: "Its okay." As the guy started talking to me I soon noticed that he had a black eye, a cut on his nose and a swollen knot on his head. I asked him what happened and he told me his whole story. He was at the strip club and met some guys to roll with. They started heading back home and they jumped him, beat him up, stole his money, and left him unconscious in the middle of the highway. The story was amazing and sad at the same time. He told me that he wanted to get his brothers, whom are in the army, to go beat the mess out of them. I told him it wouldn't be worth it, and he agreed. A few seconds after telling me that he noticed my chain and flicked it while at the same time saying, "Oh you're probably an army brat too." I said clear and bold, "No, Sir, I am a soldier of Christ, I fight for him." Then the conversation blossomed from there! He and I got to share about how wonderful God is and how He is our protector. I told him that I am a man of God, and tried to encourage him on his situation. He told me at one point that he "caught me" because he thought that I was going to throw the gospel down his throat. I assured him that that was not the reason I was here. I just listened. After ten minutes of talking back and forth, I asked him if I could pray for him. After a moment of silence he said, "Sure man why not." During the time I was praying for him he started crying. I felt like my words were impacting him to the core, Gods voice started flowing through me and he blessed me with the correct words. When I was almost done he jumped in and prayed that God would help him with his drinking. When we were done praying I felt the Holy Spirit tell me it was time to go. As I was getting ready to tell him that I was about to go, he jumped into another conversation. He told me that he helped out a lady yesterday with some gas and she told him that the Lord is going to bless him but when that happened he doubted her every word. He started thinking for a little bit, and then it looked like a light-bulb went off over his head. He said to me, "You know what man, God sent you here to be my blessing. You are my blessing. Than you so much!" I was shocked, Leaping with joy on the inside, I felt like my faith was at an all time high.
We chatted a bit more and I got his name, Tucker, but people call him Big Tuck. I excused myself and couldn't wait to tell my wife the story. I learned that day just like any day God can use you for anything at anytime. As a faithful warrior of the Lord it is my duty, and yours, to listen for him even in the moments of fear. In conclusion our overall trip was amazing. All Tucker needed was someone to listen, and he wanted to be heard. James 1:19.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...