Skip to main content

Burn It Down | October 17, 2018

I want to tell you all a little story about a day that I had recently, yesterday in fact!

I'll start where my day always seems to start: Six am on the dot with a mouth breathing Isabella standing right beside my bed.  Anyone else have one of those type of children?  The ones that wake at the same absurd hour of the early morning? Both of my children have inherited that lovely trait from their father, not from me!

Anywho, I could sense that she was there; standing beside me, staring at me, willing me to wake up.  You know, that ability to feel someone's presence before you actually see them?  Yep, that is how I wake up most mornings since Matthew left on his deployment.

And so the day started!  Conner was already awake as well, I could hear him 'talking' to himself in his bedroom.  So in we went to get Conner up and changed to bring downstairs with us.  Only problem, Conner woke up on the wrong side of the bed on this particular morning.  So begins that whining, that whining that is high pitch and long lasting and gets under your skin really quick....yeah that type of whining.  He didn't want anything that I had to offer him, not a milk bottle, not breakfast, not cars or a television show.  Kid should not have been awake yet, he was obviously still tired but didn't want to go back to bed and miss out on all the wonderful morning stuff that we'd be doing. (Like trying to resemble a normal human at 6am with a whining toddler.)

And yet there is a faint nudging from God:

Burn it down.

For those that don't know, we homeschool Isabella.  So before we start school we have to have breakfast and get dressed.  So that is what we did, just like any other normal day.  They ate and we went upstairs to get dressed and groomed for the day.  After dressing came the grooming and Isabella spotted the nail polish in her medicine cabinet.  Of course she begged me to paint her nails and Conner whined because he now wanted the bottles since his sister had them.  New plan!  I tell Isabella that I will paint her nails after she finished her school work and hand over the bottles to Conner until then.  That worked!  For about 15 minutes.

Isabella did her school work and Conner played nicely.  That's a win right?  Why did I not consider that a win at the time!? Why did I only notice what was going wrong?

Burn it down.

As promised, we painted Isabella's nails.  She knows she has to hold still to let the paint dry.  She has had her nails painted before, plus I reminded her at least 3 times before, during and after said act.  What does she do?  She messes them up.  Alright, slap a couple more coats on there and it'll be OK.  This time I had her hold her hands like she was praying and I did her hair while her nail dried.  That worked.  Until she decided to play cars with Conner while the nails still weren't quite dry.  Que messed up nails and Isabella not wanting Mommy to know about it.

Mean while, I am packing up to go to Bible study that we have on Wednesday mornings.  Conner ventures upstairs to whine at my feet for only he knows what.  That's when he sees the lunch box where I pack all of their snacks for our outings.  Commence whining for snacks!

Guys, by this time I am just so ready to get a break from the whining and neediness that I rush us into the car to start heading over to the church.  I start the car and realize that I need to go get gas!  Didn't plan for that but since I rushed us we do have time.  Isabella got into the van and was literally sitting on her hand and didn't want to show me her fingernails.  I finally go her to show them to me at the gas station and she was nearly in tears because she didn't want to show anyone her messed up nails at the church.  It broke my heart, we drove back home after the gas station to get the nail polish remover so that she would not be too busy hiding her hands at church to play with her friends.  But that was one more thing that threw my morning off.

Burn it down!

Finally we get to Bible study!  I am so relieved to have a break from the kids that I would seriously be up for learning anything! :). The study was wonderful.  We read about Elijah and answered a lot of eye opening questions about him.  I had a great time.  That is a win too, right?  I wish I could appreciate the wins more in the moment!

Time to go get the kids!  After bible study I had a renewed vigor and I knew what my plan was going to be for the day.  I felt better.  For a moment.  Then Conner fell asleep right before we got to the farmstead I was planning on going to AND the farm stand was closing up because they had already sold out for the day!  Great, that means I would have to make a special trip to the grocery store (since I already went for the week) just for the veggies that I'd planned on getting there.  Time to go home.  For some reason this made me feel like my whole day had been shot.  WHY!?  Why do we let little things turn into big things like this?

Burn it down!

We are home now.  Normally I can transfer Conner pretty easily from he car to his crib.  This time, he woke up.  I tried to coax him back to sleep but nothing worked.  Since he had slept for about 20 minutes he thought that was his nap for the day and he was not going to sleep anymore.  Isabella has long since given up naps and with Conner awake, she wasn't going to be able to have a rest period either.

I get Conner up and change his diaper.  At this point I notice a little redness on his bottom so instead of putting on a new diaper I decided to let him air out for a bit.  Not even 2 minutes later as he is climbing down the stairs, he poops!

SO, here we are, all wake, mom is exhausted and feeling like the day has been a wreck and now has to clean up poop off the carpeted stairs.  What do we do?  (Besides clean up the poop of course!)

BURN IT DOWN!

I put on a movie.  I sat back while my children started to watch "Trolls" for the 23rd time and thought about the day.  I thought about what went wrong.  I thought about how tired I was.  Then God nudged me.  All day this saying has been in the back of my mind.  I needed to burn it down.  I needed to forget about the wrongs and redirect my thoughts.  I needed to appreciate all the things that had gone right.  I needed to burn down the need for control and predictability in my day.  I needed to lose control.

So what did we do?  I cleared the kitchen table, set out paint and paint brushes, brought in the pumpkins that they kids had picked out a few days prior and we painted!  For those of you that know me, to let the kids paint pumpkins, inside and on my dining room table is pretty uncharacteristic.  Normally I would have papers down or even have them do it outside.  Today, I let go.  I wanted to change the attitude of the day and essentially the outcome of the day.  I burned down my need for cleanliness and order.  I had to begin again in order to enjoy what was left of our day.













We had a great time painting pumpkins.    We ended our painting session with a bath and even took the paint brushes in to clean as well.  Double duty, and mom doesn't have to clean them!  The kids enjoyed their bath and I was able to appreciate all the giggles with a new spirit for the day.  I wanted to take advantage of the turn of attitude so we got bundled up and went to the park to play in the freshly fallen leaves.  I even brought my camera along for some great fall photos of the kids.











Don't get me wrong, we still had our tough moments.  Like when Conner tried to run away from me at the park or both kids whined that they were hungry the whole way home.  But I chose to focus on the positives.  Like how Isabella had helped Conner sit up on a bench with her at the park when he couldn't do it himself or how Conner had laughed when he threw leaves up into the air and they fell on his head.

Burn it down!  It means that we don't all have it together.  We may portray ourselves as perfect people because we wish that we could be but in reality, those highlight reels that we see on social media, they don't show the whole truth of what our days are like. We don't have to be afraid of being ourselves.  I don't have to be afraid of being myself and showing the reality of my life.  Don't fall for the trap of comparison or thinking that someone 'has it all together' by looking at their highlights.  Now you know the real story behind the 'picture perfect' photos.

I hope that this helps some mom's heart to know that even if it looks like another mom has it all together, it is more likely that she doesn't.  We don't have it all together but we do have an all together God that can help you turn your days around and redirect your focus on Him and what really matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...