Skip to main content

Isabella's Birth Story

I know that I have been a little lazy with keeping up with my blog posts recently, but I really do have good reasons!


Introducing the newest member to the Ohrvall family:
Isabella Marie Ohrvall
Born:  August 11, 2014 at 5:30 pm
Weight:  7lbs 10 oz.  Height:  20 inches


I wanted to take this post to tell you guys about how Isabella entered this world.

So as most of you already know, Isabella was in the breech position throughout the entire length of my pregnancy.  We tried many different methods to try and get her to turn around (some traditional and some not so traditional methods) but with no luck.  On the morning of Aug. 11 I started having contractions around 9am.  These contractions started off being about 20-30 seconds long and coming every 20 minutes or so.  As the morning went on Matthew and I counted contractions and waited for them to get closer together before making any calls.  Around noon time I went for about an hour without a single contraction!  This made us think that maybe labor wasn't starting after all.  Regardless, Matthew and I decided to go for a walk around the block just to see if we could get the contractions started again.  

We walked about 4 minutes up the street and noticed that there were some ominous looking clouds in the sky that were sure to drop a lot of rain on us in a matter of minutes.  Thus, we decided to turn around and head back to the house to try our walk after the rain.  (Here on Guam you only have to wait a little while for a rain storm to make its way past and then the sun will be shining again.)  It was about this time when I began to notice a growing wetness sensation 'down there'.   By the time that we got back to the house and I was able to go to the bathroom I was sure that the wetness I felt was my water breaking.  

I know a lot of different people have said "It's not like the movies, you won't experience a big gush or water" and I have heard the opposite.  Well I would say that my experience was a little in between the two extremes.  I did experience gushes but then nothing when I wasn't moving.  Every time that I moved my body a different direction I would get a nice gush of water.  

About this time, Matthew called the Mother Baby Unit at the hospital and gave the phone to me.  I explained the situation to the nurse and told her that my baby was in the breech position.  With this information she informed us to come straight to the hospital because if it was indeed my amniotic fluid leaking then they would need to do a cesarean as soon as possible because Isabella would be exposed to outside influences. Things went pretty quickly and smoothly from there.

Matthew put all of our hospital/baby bags in the car and we started our 15 minute trip to the hospital.  We stopped at Taco Bell on our way out so that I could get my phone out of my backpack in the trunk and so that Matthew could get some food (because we were sure he would not be able to eat for a while once things got started).  We had an uneventful drive to the hospital where we were focusing on remaining calm while coming to the conclusion that we could be holding our baby girl in just a few short hours!

We got to the hospital and walked up to the Mother Baby Unit where they sent s straight into the triage room.  This is where things really started to get rolling.  I got hooked up to the monitors to check mine and Isabella's heart rates and a lot of other tests/questions from the nurses and doctors.  The doctor came in and checked to be sure that Isabella was indeed still in the breech position and then informed us that she would need to be delivered via c-section within he next few hours.  

After being on the monitor and receiving information about the risks vs benefits we were moved to our own room to await all the wonderful things that come along with a c-section delivery.  We had to wait for the anesthesiologist to come and give us their spiel and we waited for my OB doctor to get to the hospital.  (She was up at Anderson Air Force Base for that day at work) I was really happy that she was able to come to the hospital to perform my c-section because we had thought previously that she would not be able to be there and I would be operated on by a doc that I never met.  God is good to work things out for the best to make me feel the safest I possibly could.  

It took a couple hours to get all the people together that were going to be needed.  We got to the hospital around 2pm and I walked back to the operating room at around 5pm.  Matthew had to stay back in the room while I got the spinal tap and got set up on the operating table.  He had to put on his scrubs and wait for the OK to come back with me.  Those were the most scary moments for me.  I always wanted the natural birth and now I was being poked, medicated, given oxygen and cut open.  Completely the opposite of what I wanted and I was alone for those first scary moments.  As I sat there and did what the doctors told me to I kept on telling myself that there was a reason for all of it:  God's plan is bigger than mine and this is for the health of myself and my daughter.  Those thoughts got me through until Matthew was able to come and stand by me.  At that point I tried to relax and focus on the fact that our baby girl would be in my arms soon.  

Even though Isabella's birth did not go the way that I wanted, I will never forget looking at those huge TV screens that were in the operating room for viewing and seeing the first parts of my baby girl:  her butt sticking straight up in the air!  Yep, the first thing I saw of Isabella was her booty!  The doctor told us that she was so snug in there and comfortable with her position that she probably wouldn't have turned no matter what we did.  She also said that there was nothing wrong with the shape of my uterus that would hinder her from being able to turn, she just liked her position!  That was a relief.  

Isabella was born at 5:30pm and I was able to see her the whole time (even though I tried to avoid the screen for the most part because I didn't want to see myself being cut open).  One thing that I remember most vividly though is that as soon as she was fully outside the womb Matthew asked why she wasn't crying and as soon as he got the sentence out Isabella let out the cutest most desperate little wail that melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes.  They showed her to us both the Matthew went over to the other side of the table to be with her while they did the AP GAR test.  They were only away from me for about a minute (maybe less) but I was so desperate to have my baby in my arms!  

The doctors and nurses that I had around me were absolutely awesome!  The anesthesiologist that was at my head was telling me everything that was going on the entire time and she was just so sweet.  I felt comfortable that everyone was doing exactly what needed to be done to have a healthy birth.  Isabella and I got those first precious moments together doing skin on skin and even suckling at my breast for a while during the time when the docs were stitching me up.  It was the most amazing moment of my life.  Matthew then got to have some skin to skin time with Isabella in the room while I was being transferred to a bed and rolled back to the room.  I am sure he would say that those were some of the most precious moments of his life as well.  



Well, that is about it for the actual birth story. The rest of the story is our time spent in the hospital recovering and making sure that both myself and Isabella were doing well.  We were both doing so well that we only had to stay in the hospital for 48 hours before they discharged us.  So it all went pretty quickly and Isabella was born 2 days before her due date.  Now we are home and adjusting to life as a family of three.  

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...