Skip to main content

Pregnancy Update

Be forewarned:  Some of the information in this blog may be a little more than you might want to know! 

First an update about the due date debacle.  I had another ultrasound a week ago on the doctor's orders so that we could try to get a better estimate on how far along I am.  *Which by the way is not a good idea because the further along you are in the pregnancy the less accurate ultrasound dating gets.  The ultrasound tech and doctor were both a little confused about the dating, just like the rest of us.  Our little girl is still stumping us.  She measures at the August 12 due date everywhere except her head.  For those of you that don't know, the head is the most accurate measurement for dating that is used.  The tech also measured her body length and femur length multiple times.  So what we got was a date of Aug 12 for the body and about 2 weeks less for the head.  So either our little girl has a small head for her age or a large body! I am going to go with a small head and not suspect anything being wrong.  No use worrying right?

Now for some pregnancy symptoms that I am experiencing:

1)  Before I became pregnant, I was cold all the time!  Now I am warm, if not hot a lot of the time.  During the day I can wear tank tops and not get chilly.  At night I can barely keep a sheet over me with out sweating.  Sometimes I even break out in a sweat when I am just sitting around!  Weird.

2)  I have stumble upon a new pregnancy symptom since the last time that I did an update.  I started experiencing this particular symptom while we were in China and doing A LOT of walking and climbing stairs.  It is called symphysis pubis dysfunction or SPD.  Without going into so much detail it basically keeps me sitting on my behind and unable to move around very much.  It causes some horrible, sharp, stabbing pains when I walk.  It is especially painful when I have to stand on one leg for any amount of time or trying to roll over on my other side in bed.  If you want more information of what this is exactly you can look it up but just know that it is no fun!  Some days are worse than others but for now I am just trying not to stand for too long and take a break and rest.

3)  Probably the most common one for any pregnant woman: Sleep deprivation/exhaustion/just plain tiredness.  Yeah this little girl is a mover and a shaker!  Especially when I lay down at night.  When I move --> she goes to sleep.   When I stop moving (ie: bed time or nap time) --> she wiggles like crazy!  Thus, I am in a perpetual state of 'not really being all here'.  I have my spurts of energy and can usually get through the day without a nap if I have to.  But when I do get a nap, I feel loads better!

3.1)  This kinda goes along with the previous symptom even though it is not really a symptom.  I have lost or an slowly losing the desire to workout.  I started out the pregnancy doing really well and keeping up the workout routine with Matthew.  Since we got back from China and I got the symptom mentioned in #2, I have lost that drive.  I still go on walks and go to the gym every now and then with Matthew but not nearly as often.  Hopefully keeping up with stretches and walking will be good enough.  I mean I am already up to a 30 pound weight gain!

4)  Emotions, emotions, emotions!  Yepp, I would say that I am an emotion pregnant woman right now.  Even the slightest things can throw me off my game.  I haven't had many breakdowns but the ones I have had I am sure Matthew thought I was from another planet!  I try to recognize when my hormones might be getting in the way of rational thinking but sometimes those emotions get the best of me.

Well, that is all that I can think of right now.  I am sure there is much, much more that I am forgetting but we will blame that on the infamous 'pregnancy brain'.  I am still in shock that I have gotten so big in just the past month and that the time for her to arrive is getting so much closer!

This weekend my lovely church women friends are throwing me a baby shower and I am super excited about it!  I didn't expect to have a baby shower at all with being so far away from family but these women take me in and are like my family away from home and I could not be more appreciative of them all!!  I will take lots of pictures and do a post about the shower later!

Thanks for reading!

*OH and for those of you who knew about the glucose test and are wondering how it went:  I do not have gestational diabetes.  So yeay for being able to eat sugary foods! :)




Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad your test for gestational diabetes came back negative!
I had SPD during my pregnancies, but especially with Maggie; since my pregnancies were so close together, it was much worse the second time. If you're not already, sleep with a pillow between your thighs - it helps stabilize your hips at night and lessens the pain during the day.
Hopefully, because your due date is uncertain, your doctors will not push induction before 41 weeks. Brain development during the final weeks of pregnancy is important.
We're excited to meet her! I'm glad you're doing well.
Carla
Anonymous said…
You are doing everything right. If you had none of these symptoms, you would not be normal :) ♥♥♥
love all,
aunt M

Popular posts from this blog

5 Months...Really?

As the title suggest, I am entering into month 5 of the pregnancy.  However, I neither feel nor look like I am that far along at all.  I have gained a little bit more energy even though I still like a nap in the afternoons when I can get one.  I also haven't been having any weird pregnancy cravings like what you hear most women have.  I guess ice cream could count as a craving even though it's not really all that crazy for a pregnant woman to want ice cream.  The crazy thing I guess for me would be that I never really ate ice cream that much before I was pregnant and now I want it at least once a week. No weird dreams either; I'd be lucky if I remembered any dreams anyway.  I hardly ever remember my dreams unless they are really horrible nightmares and thank goodness I am not having any of those. We got some new furniture for the nursery today off of a Guam garage sale website.  We got a real nice dresser/changing table combo that I am pretty excited about.  That makes

37+ Week Update

So I know it has been a while since my last post.  I figured it was about time for me do another update blog on the pregnancy.  It will be pretty short cause there is not much new to report. I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks last week to get  an update on how Isabella is progressing and what position she was in after a few weeks without knowing.  If you have been keeping up with me on facebook then you know how that turned out!  We didn't get any news from the ultrasound other than the fact that Isabella was still sitting comfortably in her breech position. The following Monday we had an appointment with my OB to get the rest of the information that we were wanting to hear.  She told us that Isabella was growing appropriately and was looking healthy!  So good news is awesome to hear!  Of course she then proceeded with the news that we already heard, Isabella is still breech.  We reviewed our options for turning and delivery and decided to try a procedure called an external cephal

Isabella is 1 Month Old!

So as promised in my last post:  I have some exciting news!  But you must read on and get some baby goodness first! Today is 9/11/14 in Guam and while for some this day is still a tragic memory of the lives lost just a few years ago, today it is a celebratory day for the Ohrvalls because we are proud to have a (no longer newborn) 1 month old in our household!  We are totally smitten with this little one and love her to death even when she wakes us 3-4 times a night and drains us of any real sound sleeping.  But we will forgive her of that and hold it over her head when she is a teenager  (Just kidding...kinda!) Isabella has reached a few milestones already in her short time with us.  Here are some of the things she is doing now: Holding her head up for short amounts of time while having tummy time or being supported as she sits up Following Mommy and Daddy's voices/faces by turning her head towards us Sufficiently putting her hands in her mouth and suckling her fingers Sl