Skip to main content

July 4th is more than Independence day around here

We know that it is way past July 4th now but this month has just been so busy that I am just now getting around to blogging about our July 4th.  Matthew's birthday is July 4th and for the longest time when he was a child he thought that everyone celebrated his birthday with fireworks and parties!  It is great to be able to celebrate the independece of our country right along with the birth of one of the most amazing men in my life!  For this year, Matthew's 23rd birthday we had many different ideas about what we wanted to do.  We changed our minds many times before finally settling on going to Washington DC to watch the fireworks. 

We were able to drive up to a nearby town called Alexandria and settle into our Marriott hotel room!  Yeah that's right we stayed at a Marriott!   We actually got an amazing deal for that hotel and we were definitely blessed.  After settling in for a little bit and getting our blood flowing again from our long drive we took the metro into the capital and met up with our friends Andrew and Tianna. Most of the rest of the afternoon was spend walking around the Smithsonian mall and seeing some of the different museums. 

We saw many different historic sites that we will never forget.  We walked and walked and walked some more!  From the capital to the White House back to the botanical garden by the capital and back to the Washington Monument.  We were treated to a lovely early dinner by Andrew and Tianna at a little pub off the beaten path.  Then we had some alone time to relax and walk around together which was great because we had a chance to talk to each other about how we were enjoying the blessing of how everything was working out for the better the entire weekend.


When the main event came around it was time to find a good location to settle down.  The fireworks started at about 9:15 when the sun was just about set.  The four of us settled infront of the Washington Monument so that we would have a good view.  I was able to use the fireworks function on our new function to take many pictures.  Here are a few of them:



After our spectacular light show we had to book it to our metro station to be able to get back to the hotel.  Well at least that is what everyone else there thought!  The metro that we had to take to get back was packed!  At first we were going to wait until the line went down to get on but then we decided to just face the crowd and after standing in line for about 10 minutes we were rushed though the lines and onto our train in less than 30 seconds!  It was all very fast paced!

The next morning, Monday morning, we went up to Maryland to visit Matthew's grandfather for a little bit.  It was great seeing him and his wife and their lovely house.  Matthew's granddad is a cute old man and Matthew looks a lot like him!  So I guess that means that Matthew will make for a cute grandpa too!

Overall our weekend excursion was definitely blessed by God because the whole thing went so smoothly without a single hiccup.  I think that for the first 4th of July that I was able to spend with Matthew I would have to say that it was a definite success!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

long lost days and couch beds

So I have not been keeping up with this in the past few days considering I have been pretty busy. Thus I am going to do some quick over-views of the past few days so that I can get myself to bed. I haven't been sleeping all that well for a while now and I need to get my beauty rest. On Sunday Matthew and I went back to Grace Assembly (our old/home church) for the late service. We wanted to go back to Grace since we are doing the mission trip through them and they were having a young adult meeting after church. The young adults meeting was pretty great. We went to Forks Cafeteria in downtown Wake Forest and had a room to ourselves reserved. I love getting everyone together. There are always great conversations. After we ate we had a little talk about getting young adults going again and about this new adopt a school program that they wanted us to get involved in. I am feeling pretty siked about the adopt a school program because it is with a middle school and we would get ...

To Start Again

Hello everyone! I know, I know, it has been a REALLY long time since I last posted anything here.  We have since been in Great Lakes, IL for a little over 2 years now and I feel like we have made ourselves a comfortable home and extended group of friends that are like family in the area.  But of course, like true Navy fashion, and God's design for life, nothing goes according to plan. I thought here in Great Lakes there would be little to no chance of Matthew ever getting deployed. God had a different plan.  Long story short, he is now deployed overseas and has been for almost 3 months.  He will be back sometime around May 2019 (that's about 10 months total). I've been having a lot of thoughts about how my days and plan are escaping me and I have trouble remembering what I've did yesterday let alone last week.  And so, I've decided to try and take back up on the blogging.  Hopefully it will be therapeutic for me and as well as help me when I want to ...

Priest Pools Hike

This weekend has been a packed weekend for outdoor activities.  About time too since we haven't been able to get outside and enjoy the weather with all the raining that we had last week.  On Saturday morning we woke up early and went to a community yard sale that was being held in the gym on base.  Found a blender, small food processor and some picture frames. After the yard sale we came back to the house to eat a big breakfast and get ready for our first official hike on Guam!  We decided that we were going to tackle the Priest Pools Hike first because it is labeled as an easy hike in our "Best Tracks on Guam" book.  We packed up our hiking gear and put on our boots to head out but first we had to go to the exchange to get a camera more suited for the type of terrain we were going to be encountering.  We have a nice canon camera but it is much to big and breakable to go on hikes.  We got a military bundle deal on a camera that is not only shock proo...